In this episode, renowned diversity and equity expert Dr. Jonathan Ashong-Lamptey discusses the concept of inclusion and its importance in the business environment. The conversation dives into the challenges organizations face regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion. Brendan and Jonathan examine the pitfalls of superficial initiatives and underscore the need for evidence-based inclusion. Jonathan focuses on data-driven inclusion strategies, and shares his insights on fostering a more inclusive culture. The episode concludes with an exploration of the Lindy effect and the importance of moving beyond generic solutions to achieve a truly inclusive organization.
Dr. Jonathan Ashong-Lamptey is the world authority on Evidence-Based Inclusion, featured in the FT, Bloomberg and BBC. He is the host of The Element of Inclusion podcast, a weekly podcast that informs and educates using applied research and thought leadership. Clients include Aviva Insurance, Sony Pictures, Conde Nast, John Lewis, Natwest Bank, and Meta. He is on a mission to help a million people to make their workplace inclusive through his writing, courses and other resources.
Tune in and subscribe to future episodes of The Culture of Leadership
- What is the definition of inclusion?
- Defining diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Common misconceptions about diversity and inclusion
- Pitfalls of superficial initiatives in organizations
- Evidence-based inclusion
- Data-driven inclusion strategies
- Time-tested practices and the Lindy effect
- Importance of specificity in creating an inclusive environment
- Challenges of focusing on trivial vs. real issues
- The power of gap analysis in inclusion
- The concept of racism and its perception in society
- Re-thinking best practices and creating unique inclusion strategies
- Discussion on the Lindy effect and cultural artifact creation
- Power of giving and data-driven inclusion
- 3 Key Takeaways:
- Confident leaders create an environment where everyone can perform
- Confident leaders create an environment where everyone can belong
- Confident leaders creat an environment where everyone can reach their potential
- Feel free to leave your feedback about the show